Introduction - Mission
The Navy Hospital of Athens (NNA) is the largest Navy Hospital in Greece, with a capacity of 234 beds. It is situated on Dinokratous 70, Athina, BO 115 21, at the foothill of Lycabettos.
The mission of the Athens Naval Hospital is:
Health care provision to Naval personnel, veterans and their families.
Training Civilian Physicians and Nurses in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and Welfare.
Training of the Healthcare Personnel of the Hellenic Navy.
Founded in 1948, it was first opened and operated in 1955. It was renovated and expanded in 1995 and since 2002 the new operation theater and the renovation of nursing wards and buildings have been put into operation.
NNA is financially supported for equipment and construction work, largely outside the state budget, from the Navy Fund and the National Fleet Fund.
It is the only Military Hospital, which was built and completed in its original form, with the financial support of its active and retired personnel. The beginning of the rebuilding works was in the first half of 1947, however the foundation stone was set on June 12, 1948. The outpatient clinics started operations on October 1, 1954. The first two surgical and pathological nursing units started on May 2, 1955 and the hospital’s inauguration took place in a formal ceremony in June 1955.
The Athens Navy Hospital, starting with capacity of 60-beds and through its successive extensions, repairs and adaptations which are still in progress, has reached a modern 234-bed Nursing Institution in its present form.